Friday, July 9, 2010

Folk Friday #3

What can I say about this one? Loreena McKennit has the most amazing voice, and an unequalled gift for interpretation. Give her material like Tennyson’s ‘Lady of Shallot’ and the result is going to be stellar.

I read this poem a long time ago, but the first time I heard it spoken was by Megan Followes as Anne of Green Gables. That was when I realized its charm. On paper, I find it a bit too, well, Victorian, but when spoken it comes alive. Here’s Loreena’s version. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I love Loreena McKennitt! And "The Lady of Shalott" is one of my favorite poems. Thanks for sharing this, Jennie - beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love her voice and her songs. :) Thanks for sharing it! -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, thanks for dropping by! It's hard to imagine that Loreena McKennitt got her start busking with her harp in front of Eaton Center in Toronto. Janet, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm having a good time coming up with these pieces. So far, all of them are old...what does that make me? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful, Jennie. And I've never watched that performance before so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete