Sunday, February 27, 2011

Catching Up

Haven’t posted since Valentine’s Day. Life has been crazy. Can’t post the details here yet, but when I can, I will.

On the writing front, I’m holding a book launch celebration on Thursday, March 10, from 6 to 8 pm at The Company House, a cosy little acoustic music venue at 2202 Gottingen Street here in Halifax. Officially it’s a launch for Heart, but due to the twists and turns of Chance’s route to publication I never had a launch for it, so I’ll be reading from both. Everett McInnis, my other half, and Kathy MacGillivray, one of my best friends, will be providing the music. I’ll probably join in on a tune or two myself if my voice allows – right now I have a cold, so I’m not sure. It should be a fun evening. Tara MacDonald, from the RWAC marketing committee, and Frances Leary from BConnected are helping publicize the event. I can’t believe their supportive energy. I’m a very, very lucky author.

News flash – I just finished a telephone interview with Desmond Haas, a fellow author, for his online Romance Radio show! I think it went well, but I’m reserving judgement until I hear the recording. I’ll be posting links to the edited sound file when I get them. AND there’s a group book signing with RWAC at Chapters in Dartmouth Crossing on March 19. All this good, exciting stuff – and the not so good, stressful stuff – has my head in a whirl.
It also has me thinking about music for the launch party. I’m trying to come up with a few tunes that evoke the characters in my books. Here’s what I have so far:

1. She Mov’d Through the Fair: A haunting tune of love and loss, for Martin Rainnie. It’s the song I recorded for the trailer.

2. The Patriot’s Game: For Trey’s best bud, Justin Sinclair. “Come all ye young rebels and list while I sing, for the love of one’s country is a dangerous thing.” This song is about the troubles in Ireland, but it applies to civil conflict everywhere, with its tragic loss of young lives. Can’t find a good recording of this one.


3. Soldier’s Joy: For Nathan Munroe. I love Michelle Shocked’s version of this tune. War ain’t pretty. Soldier’s Joy is morphine.

Shaking hands and fingers that do tremble
Soldier's Joy has been a bitter pill
Though in battle, a brave man I resemble
Alone I am a coward without will

Since I couldn’t find a recording of her version, here’s Earl Scruggs doing the classic Appalachian version.


4. For Trey McShannon: Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring. A beautiful, beautiful piece that for me, evokes Trey’s love of the simple life.

5. For Beth Underhill: Ashokan Farewell. I love, love, love this piece, no matter how many times I’ve heard it. For me, it evokes Beth’s grace and gentleness, and her underlying strength.

6. Finally, for Rochelle McShannon: I don’t know the name of this piece because it isn’t titled in the video, but it’s lovely and evokes Chelle’s wistfulness.

I’ve missed a couple of Folk Fridays, so I hope this makes up for it. I’ll let you know how the interview turns out. And if anyone has any other suggestions for music that suits my characters, I’d love to hear them!

7 comments:

  1. Soldier's Joy was one of the first fiddle tunes I ever learned. Fun to hear it here.
    Clare Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear the interview went well! Great music on the blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had the chance to listen to all of these yet, but will check them out when I'm in a more private spot. But the Askokan Farewell is one of the most amazing pieces of music. Goes straight to my soul everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare, thanks for stopping by! I hope I get to hear you play someday. Tara, glad you enjoyed the music. Michelle, Ashokan Farewell brings tears to my eyes. It evokes the era so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You think the interview went well on The Romance Radio Network? Don't worry about a thing, you were extraordinary.

    Thank you for being a guest on my show.

    --Desmond Haas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Desmond, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you were pleased. When I start rattling on about these folks that live in my head, I never know what's going to come out, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finished "McShannon's Heart" a night or two ago...(I bought the Kindle version and hope I received the whole thing)...it ended with Rochelle married and pregnant. Obviously I'm hooked because I'm ready to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete