Friday, November 19, 2010

Folk Friday, and 'Tis Almost the Season

November winding down and December almost upon us. The flood of Christmas advertising has begun. I find that the older I get, the less interest I have in the Christmas rush. There are no children in our family to buy for, and we’ve agreed to forego drawing names for stockings this year. I’m looking forward to a simplified holiday season.

I’ve always loved Christmas rituals – decorating the tree, baking, carols, parties with friends and family. We’ll be celebrating with my parents, and it will have extra meaning this year after my father’s health scare earlier in the fall. He’s fully recovered from his surgery now, and we can’t be thankful enough.

I haven’t yet included a Christmas scene in one of my books, but I’d like to some day. Perhaps I will in Shattered – a Christmas a few years after the Explosion, when Liam and Alice are enjoying their HEA. A couple of years ago, I did write a Christmas carol for Beth and Trey from McShannon’s Chance –I’ll post it a little closer to the day. I find it easy to picture them celebrating in their cabin, with a candle-lit tree, home-made ornaments and gifts for their four children (If you haven’t noticed, my imagination carries me away sometimes.) Chelle, the oldest, is dark like Trey, but with her mother’s blue eyes. She has Beth’s independent streak and wants to study art in Europe. The second, Michael, is tall and rangy like his father, but he’s blond like his grandfather Colin. He’s the dreamer in the family and wants to go to sea. The next, Ethan, has his mother’s red hair and freckles, and so does the youngest, Abby. They’re both children of Trey’s heart, as attached to the ranch and the horses as he is. I have a few chapters of a WIP that takes the family forward fifteen years, when young Chelle is getting headstrong and has a crush on Nate Munroe’s son, who is a chip off the old block. Maybe someday.

We might be getting a dusting of snow tomorrow, the first of the season. I like snow. I’d much prefer a white Christmas to the endless November that sometimes passes as winter in Nova Scotia. Time for comfort food recipes, brisk walks with the Terrible Tollers and lots of writing. And for Folk Friday, here’s an old favourite ‘comfort tune’ – John Denver’s Song of Wyoming. The simplicity and poetry of this one always get to me, and the video is very easy on the eye. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I love John Denver - thanks for posting this, Jennie.

    And, like you, we don't do a lot of buying for Christmas around here. Taz gets her usual treat (more than her normal treats - the dog is spoiled) and we do a simple stocking for each of us with candy and fruit and some small treasure. So the Christmas 'harrassment' usually annoys me, more so since it goes on for 6 weeks!

    I love the way you've taken the family and envisioned them in the future. I do that, too. That would be a great online read for your fans - a Christmas Story based on McShannon's Chance. I know I would love to read it :)

    Oh, an no snow! I came from the Prairies (where they are knee deep already and experiencing the first of many bone-chilling days (-25 degrees C today). I like the grey/green - especially on a sunny day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    Yes, the six weeks of canned carols and congested parking lots bugs me too. As for snow, I grew up in Montreal where we got lots, but we didn't get the bone-chilling cold of the Prairies.

    I like your idea of an on-line read. Perhaps tomorrow, if it snows, I'll be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen! Just stopping in to say hi, it's been a while but I've been way to busy and need to stop and smell those Wyoming flowers for a bit. Here's wishing you a quiet holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the video and the song, Jennie. May I say you are turning me into a folk music lover!

    Happy Holidays, and enjoy your time with your dad. Mine just left and I gave him an extra bog hug after hearing from you and Julie.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie - here's one of the other 5 on Friday participants who posted songs from your era this week:

    http://jdurward.blogspot.com/2010/11/5-on-friday-1914-1918.html

    Lots of war songs, etc. but some might lead to others...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna, Ann, thanks for dropping by! I've always liked John Denver's music. Julia, thanks so much for the link - it led me to some amazing footage of soldiers suffering from shell shock, and some chilling battle footage as well.

    ReplyDelete